Univeresal Audio Apollo 16 FireWire Interface
- 18.00 LBS
- Calculated at Checkout
Universal Audio has managed to once again improve upon greatness. Introducing the Apollo 16, UA's flagship 24-bit / 192kHz audio interface. The Apollo 16 delivers world-class conversion with 16x16 analog I/O, that's twice as many inputs and outputs as the original Apollo models. This uncompromising FireWire/Thunderbolt-ready* interface combines superior sound with powerful onboard UAD-2 QUAD processing. So you can track audio in real time through classic UAD analog emulation plug-ins — on both Mac and Windows 7.
World-Class 24-bit/192 kHz Conversion
Apollo 16 brings a true “no compromise” approach to every aspect of its audio signal path. Building upon decades of UA hardware expertise, it features meticulous analog circuit design, top-end converters, and DC-coupled outputs — providing the lowest THD and highest dynamic range of any converter in its class. Specifically, the Apollo 16’s deep, wide soundstage, and its exceptionally open and transparent sound, makes it the ideal centerpiece for professional recording studios.
Realtime UAD Plug-In Processing for Tracking, Mixing, and Mastering
With its standard UAD-2 QUAD processing onboard, Apollo 16 allows recording in real time through UAD Powered Plug-Ins — with as low as sub-2ms latency — so you can monitor, audition, and “print” audio through stunning analog emulations from Ampex, Lexicon, Manley, Neve, Roland, SSL, Studer, and more.** Better still, Apollo 16's Realtime UAD Processing is also available during mixing and mastering, so that music producers can employ UAD plug-ins (VST, RTAS, AU) throughout the creative process.
Expandable 16 x 16 Analog Connectivity with Advanced Routing
Apollo 16 boasts straightforward 16 x 16 analog I/O via convenient DB-25 connections — perfect for pairing with mixing consoles, outboard processors, cue/headphone systems, and more. Two Apollo 16 units can be cascaded over MADI for an expanded system with eight UAD processors and 32 x 32 simultaneous analog I/O, capable of handling large professional mixes. Dedicated XLR monitor outputs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O round out the Apollo 16’s rear-panel audio connections.
The Apollo 16’s enhanced routing capabilities include four stereo Cue mixes with individually assignable outputs, and a new “Virtual I/O” feature that allows for Realtime UAD Processing of DAW tracks and virtual instruments.
Thunderbolt™ Connectivity for Macs
Apollo 16 offers compatibility with Intel’s new high-bandwidth Thunderbolt technology on Macs via a user-installable dual-port Thunderbolt Option Card (sold separately). Thunderbolt provides greater UAD plug-in instances, improved performance at high sample rates, and reduced UAD plug-in latency in the DAW versus Apollo’s standard FireWire connection.
Because Thunderbolt offers many times the bandwidth of FireWire, it allows studios to connect numerous devices in series with the Apollo interface — including hard drives, processors, and additional computer monitors — all with fast, flawless performance. Thunderbolt also makes it easy to expand UAD plug-in processing power via a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis and UAD-2 DSP Accelerator card(s).
Deeper Integration with Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase and More
Apollo 16’s Core Audio and ASIO drivers ensure compatibility with all major DAWs, including Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Cubase, and more. The included Console application and companion Console Recall plug-in (VST/AU/RTAS) provide control and recall of all interface and Realtime UAD plug-in settings within your DAW sessions, even months and years later. A new “PT Mode” ensures that Pro Tools can take advantage of all 16 analog inputs/outputs for hardware inserts — and maximizes analog I/O in a multi-unit setup.
Hardware Design and Workflow
Apollo 16 boasts numerous design details that give you a fast, natural workflow — and better results. Its Monitor outputs are digitally controlled analog, so you don't lose audio resolution when you adjust gain. More than 195 high-visibility LEDs provide full input and output metering, and with zero “hot spots” or light bleed. All front controls and rear-panel connections are professional-grade. And finally, standalone operation means that you can use Apollo’s audio connections, and last-used DSP mixer settings, even without a computer connected.
- UA’s flagship FireWire/Thunderbolt-ready audio interface for Mac and Windows 7*
- 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connectors — ideal for mixing consoles, outboard preamps, etc.
- Realtime UAD-2 QUAD processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins**
- Thunderbolt Option Card for next-generation connectivity to compatible Macs (sold separately)
- Four stereo Cue mixes with fully assignable outputs
- Multi-unit cascading over MADI merges two Apollo 16 units for 32 x 32 analog I/O
- * Requires Windows 7 64-bit edition operating system and a qualified PCIe-to-FireWire adaptor. Thunderbolt option is Mac-only.
- ** All trademarks are recognized as property of their respective owners. Individual UAD Powered Plug-Ins sold separately.
- PT Mode allows easy insertion of outboard analog hardware in Pro Tools**
- Virtual I/O feature for Realtime UAD Processing of virtual instruments and DAW tracks
- Includes dedicated XLR monitor outs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O
- Includes “Analog Classics” plug-ins: LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A EQ
- Full recall of interface settings in DAW sessions via Console Recall plug-in (VST/RTAS/AU)
- Full compatibility with UAD-2 DSP Accelerator systems